May 15, 2012

Italia

Ciao! (this is one of very few phrases I have picked up)  I feel like all I say is ciao and grazie.  Slowly but surely though I am learning.  It has been a few days now and I have so much going on that I want to make sure I get as much down as I can.  We have been so busy, so this is the first chance I have had to just sit.  I didn't even have time to write before I left so I will start there.  I spent my last few days in denial, however the day before I clearly was forced to pack.  I laid out everything I wanted to take and tried to narrow down from them.  I thought I did pretty well until I tried to fit it in the suitcase.  I went for the larger suitcase and rolled all my close and put them into plastic zip bags (like what bed sheets come in).  Those actually worked out really well; I highly recommend if you are taking a trip any time soon.  They made my clothes compact and I was also able to separate my shirts, tank tops, shorts, ect. rather than having everything jumbled together.  My suitcase ended up weighing 44 pounds with my carry on another 20.  Luckily I got rid of a lot in my carry on once I arrived (gifts) so I can transfer some weight from my suitcase to make room for whatever I buy here :)  Getting to Italy was another adventure.  The airport process was actually fairly smooth and quick, both in Georgia and Italy.  Even customs was a breeze.  I'm sure it will be different when we leave.  The plane ride, however, seemed like a lifetime.  In reality it was only ten hours.  I think I MAYBE slept a total of 2 hours here and there.  I just could not get comfortable no matter how much I tried.  At least they fed us well.  I think that was part of the reason I wasn't able to sleep....endless food and drink service.  Once we arrived in Milan, we had a 3 hour bus ride to Modena where we met our host families.  As eager as we all were, things suddenly became real when a swarm of people were outside our buss waiting for us.  No one wanted to get off.  We all sat there unsure of what to do or how it would be to meet our families for the first time. Finally we stepped off the bus and so it began.  At least I could not find my family but then I heard my name and saw the parents, Fabrizio and Anna with bid smiles on their faces.  I immediately got excited and frightened at the same time.  I was so happy to meet them but neither of them speak English so it was a very quiet and awkward ride to their house.  Since my time here, they have picked up more English very quickly. They are much better than they give themselves credit for and they are so kind to speak in English as much as they can; even looking words up in the dictionary that they don't know.  They are so patient and caring people.  Now that we can communicate a little more (me with my broken Italian phrases and their growing English) we have been able to settle in a little more with each other and are able to joke around and be ourselves.  I could not have asked for a better family.  The children are great as well.  Cecilia (pronouced Chechillia, or Chechi), 17, and Francesco, 22, are a great help.  They become our translators whenever they are home and are have taken me to meet their friends and to their events.  I have seen Ceci sing in her choir and to her volleyball game.  I will also be going to watch Franceso and his friends' band one night this week.  This family has taken me in as one of their own and I cannot be more grateful!

On Mother's Day we went to Fabrizio's mom's house for lunch.  She is the sweetest lady and talked to me as if I were fluent in Italian.  She is a great cook and has even offered to give me a cooking lesson before I leave!  Food as been both a challenge and a delight while I have been in Italy.  Nothing can prepare you for the amount of food Italians eat at every meal.  There are usually two courses (which could eat be a separate meal by themselves) and then some sort of dessert and fruit afterwards.  On Mother's Day we had lasagna.  So naturally I ate my normal portion.  However, once that was gone, the grandmother brought out chicken and peas and potatoes.  I was so full but I did not want to be rude so I took a little of eat thing. Stuffed as could be, she then brought out two different desserts!  I was so full but she just kept telling me, "Mange! Mange!"  I think they are finally understanding that I am not capable of eating like they do.  Even still, they are determined to make me eat more than normal.  They even made me weigh myself so that they could see how much I have gained at the end of the trip! (Obviously not a cultural faux pas for them!) Every time I eat the dad jokingly says, "10 kilos!" as in I just gained a few more pounds.  It has become a running joke between us.

Aside from the language barriers and the food habits, I have not had much of a culture shock.  Everyone here rides a bike, which I think is great. Good thing you never forget how to ride a bike.  The biggest difference we have seen in our daily routines are the bathrooms.  They are all so different everywhere you go.  There are no handles to flush the toilets.  Some have strings, some are a button on the wall; some don't have toilette seats, some are just holes in the ground.  Needless to say, it has been an interesting experience thus far. 

Today was my first day in the preschool (Scuola Materna).  I am working with the 4-5 year olds and they are the most precious things you have ever seen.  Even when they are fighting they are still adorable.  How could you ever get mad a 4 year old speaking Italian?!  There are 26 children in all and 2 teahcers.  A lot of names to remember!  None of them speak any English so it was choppy today, but still a very good first day.  They children, not shy at all, came right up to me and started speaking Italian and translating for each other that I do not speak Italian.  That didn't stop them from talking to me and wanting to play though.  First we had a morning meeting, where a child counted the number of students in Italian.  Then, I helped him count in English.  Afterwards, we walked all 26 children 15 minutes to their gym in the park to skate. You would think it would have been crazy, but aside from the slow ones and the loud ones, the children walked hand in hand the whole way with no problem!  I was amazed.  Then they received a skate lesson and played games for 2 hours! They were the cutest thing ever.  I was so sad that the school will not allow us to take pictures.  You will have to take my word that they are the cutest little Italian children you have ever seen.  I cannot wait to go back tomorrow and teach them American games and songs these next few weeks.  I know they are eager to learn as much as I am to teach them.  A few of the children were even coming up to me today and asking (in Italian) how to say certain words in English...precious!  While I miss my family and Lexi, especially :) I am having a great trip and know that it will go by so fast, so I am trying to absorb as much as I can while I am here.  I will try to post soon with some pictures.  We are going to Venice this weekend so I will have lots to share after that I am sure.  Until next time....Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment