May 28, 2012

Allora

Sorry I have been slacking on my posts this trip but we have been extremely busy! (In a good way) Prepare yourself for a long post.   So, where to begin?? Let's see...my trip has been fabulous! It took me about a week to adjust and for everything to sink in, but after than time has flown by and I am finding myself wishing that it would freeze for a little while.  I will start by talking about my class. (I don't remember what I wrote about last time, so ignore me if I repeat myself). My class is absolutely adorable.  They have become just as attached to me as I have to them.  They love asking me how to say things in English and are patient when I try to figure out what they are saying.  Or sometimes they just give up and walk away. I don't blame them.  I have come to understand [relatively] a lot of Italian however.  I was even able to go buy stamps on my own the other day to mail some post cards.  Back to the children though.  They have completely stolen my heart.  Even though we don't say much, I feel like I understand each and everyone of them.  I have collected quite a few drawings and even snuck in some photos.  Unfortunately I can't post them, but take my word for it; they are beyond cute!

As for my host family, I cannot begin to say enough kind words about them.  They are so perfect and I feel like I am right at home.  They are just as sarcastic as my own family and we laugh constantly.  They are also as sweet as can be.  My mom, Anna, leaves me notes every morning, in English, so I know it takes a lot of effort for her, along with snacks for the day.  They are constantly trying to please me and make me feel as if this is my real home.  I only wish I could express my true gratitude for their endless generosity.  I know that they will always be a special part of my life and I cannot wait for the day I will get to see them again (I refuse to think about leaving though.)

Now for Italy.  It is definitely an entirely different culture...mostly in a good way.  It is hard to explain really.  There are the little things, like the weird toilets and their idea of a 'salad' (lettuce, olive oil, and salt). Overall though, everyone here has been so kind and welcoming that it was so easy to feel at home. My family has finally realized that it is impossible for me to eat like a true Italian, although I don't think nona (grandma) will ever give up.  She did teach me how to make Gnocco Fritto though, which was amazing!  We have bee to some amazing places as well.  Each place we go becomes my new favorite.  Our first weekend we went to Venice.  It was so pretty and exactly what you would think it would be.  Water all around, no cars, just bridges everywhere.  My feet have never hurt so much.  We walked all around the city, and believe me, it is not an easy city to navigate.  A lot of small streets that go all different directions.  The American Cup (sailing competition) was going on while we were there though so it was packed with tourist. Luckily, our second day there we got out of the craziness for a little while and took a boat to Murano and Burano.  Both beautiful islands and known for their glass and lace making.  As beautiful as it was, we were ready to leave at the end of the weekend.

This past weekend, we went to Florence.  It was surreal.  Amazing views everywhere you turn.  Our first day, three of us decided to walk to Piazza Michelangelo.  It looked manageable on the map, however two hours late, mostly uphill, we made it.  It was worth it though to see the entire city cast with the sunset glow.  We got there at the perfect time.  We took a ton of pictures and soaked in the view before we finally decided to take a cab back into town for dinner.  They next day we had a tour of the Ufizie and and got to see the David.  Afterwards we shopped until the stores closed (which is early here).   Sunday was my favorite day of the whole entire trip.  We drove up to Tuscany where we were given a tour of a house where they make wine and olive oil (yes, I bought some!)  It was delicious.  Then we got to make pasta, which was then used to make our dinner.  I have made some great meals while I have been here and cannot wait to make them again when I get home.  A pasta machine is on my list of things to buy as soon as I get back. Needless to say Florence was amazing and we didn't want to leave.

Allora (Now/and so...one of our favorite words here) I am having mixed feelings about the fact that we only have 9 more days.  On one hand I am ready to be back to my regular routine and of course Lexi, okay, mostly just Lexi...and my own bed and shower.  But, I cannot imagine leaving all of the wonderful people I have met.  Instead, I just pretend like it is not happening and am trying to enjoy every bit of my time left in this fabulous place.  This trip has changed my life in a way I could not have begun to imagine.  So, I will leave you with something I have learned during my time here: embrace every opportunity, because there is value to be found in it all.  And of course, what you probably skipped ahead to, the pictures!





Of course Lexi had to see me off at the airport :)
 
Center of Modena, the city we are staying in

First Gelatto of the trip...strawberry and lemon. Delicious!

 No such thing as a slice in Italy

Venice
 
Burano
 
Florence
 
View from the top

The Winery





Pasta Making




Tuscany

No comments:

Post a Comment