For those of you who do not know, there has been a series of earthquakes here in Modena, Italy. While I am not fearful to stay, many of the families are worried about our safety. It has been so interesting to see the reactions the locals have had to this unexpected course of nature. While I am use to earthquakes and do not think much of them, it is certainly not normal in Italy and the people hear are naturally terrified. While there has been little damage in our immediate area from what I have seen, people have been sleeping in their cars and sleeping in tents in the parks out of fear for staying inside. When the first earthquake of the day (on Tuesday) hit, we were all at school. The kids in my class seemed to be unphased as we rushed them outside. In the one minute it took us to line the kids up and get them outside, parents were already rushing to the gates, running and biking up from all directions. I could see the complete shock and fear on their faces. Some were even crying. I was in awe at how deeply these families are affected by the earthquakes. We then walked the children to the nearby park (to be in an open area away from the buildings) where they met their parents to go home. Schools have been closed ever since and it is unlikely that they will reopen for the remaining week they have left in the year.
While I am completely saddened by the abrupt end of our stay, I am determined to make the most of my time left with my family. Today I am making banana bread with my brother and sister...even though the bananas are not ready yet. Hopefully it turns out because I have talked it up all week. Tonight we are supposed to have our weekly dinner as a group, but I have decided to eat with my family as I want to spend as much time with them as possible. Tomorrow morning we leave for Milan in order to get further away from the epicenter of the earthquake. I am hoping that Francesco and Cecilia (my host siblings) will be able to go as well in order to spend one last day together. The plan is to then fly out first thing Saturday. While I understand the reasoning for us having to leave, I just wish it weren't so sudden. I wish I could explain the bond that I have made with my host family in such a short amount of time. As soon as I texted my mom she came straight to meet me from work and took me shopping...I guess shopping is a universal pick-me up. She bought me two scarves and a pair for sandals (I don't even want to say how much they cost). She tried to buy me some other clothes but I refused. They are as sad as I am that I am leaving early. The worst part was trying to explain all this to my host dad. He did not want to accept it. He thought for sure there was another way. But like they keep telling me, I will be back. I know in my heart that I will see them again.
First Family Photo <3
No comments:
Post a Comment