So here I am in Starbucks, watching the rush of people all around as
they try to wrap up their Christmas shopping (no pun intended). People
watching is one of my favorite things. It is like watching the world in
slow motion. I find it so interesting how we can all be in our own
little world and never see some of the amazing and humbling things that
go on around us; like the customer who just payed for the next person's
order or the little boy who put the change his mom gave him in the tip
jar. It's times like these that remind me to pause and to just be in
the moment more; to take the time to make small talk with the cashier or
to simply hold the door open even if the person is more than just a few
steps behind me. If I've learned anything this year, it is that you
never know what someone is going through in their personal life. A
simple gesture can mean more than you know. In my previous
post
I talked about wanting to find ways to do more for others; to give more
of myself. I have seen the people who do a Random Act of Kindness
thing where they try to do one RAK a week or even daily. I thought
about this and while I think it is a great thing to do, I want my
"giving" to be more genuine than some thought out list of deeds to do.
Instead I would rather be more aware of opportunities that present
themselves by being in the moment. I also won't be writing about the
specific ways I find to give back, no matter how small or big the
gesture. I originally thought it would be great to share as a way to
encourage others to do the same, but I am afraid it would become more
about me and the acts themselves rather than the meaning behind my doing
them in the first place. Matthew 6:1-4 says "Be careful not to
practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them...so
when you give to the needy, do not announce it to be honored by others.
Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." My goal is
not to draw attention to myself or to prove that I am a good person.
God knows the kind of person I am and he knows the true desires and
intentions of my heart. I feel I have been so blessed this last year,
that I can only hope to pay it forward as much as possible.
There
is so much more I want/need to write but I will save it for another
day. Right now, I am going to enjoy my chai tea vanilla latte (try
it--it unexpectedly tastes like Christmas in a cup), catch up on some
reading that is not school or work related and enjoy the
JDC
music I just downloaded. Seriously, check him out. Truly talented.
Anyways, I probably won't be posting again till the end of the week, so I
hope you all have a very blessed Christmas and get to spend it enjoying
the company of those you love most. And to my family and friends that
are too far away for me to see, just know that I will be thinking of you
and that I love you all very much!
 |
| P.s. Happy 29th birthday, TK! |
 |
| Happy Holidays from the pups :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment